The City of Thousand Oaks is an environmental leader in many areas, and we thought the end of the year would be a great time to showcase some of our community’s achievements. Tell us how many you already knew and get a FREE limited edition Thousand Oaks reusable tote bag! (Please Note: The free bag promotion has ended and all bags have been distributed.)
Did you know that the:
- newly opened Household Hazardous Waste Facility has been designated as an international best practices benchmark facility?
- City was designated a 2014 Solar Champion by Environment, California?
- City of Thousand Oaks was recognized by Bicycling Magazine as one of America’s Best Bike Cities and in 2014 was ranked number 33 in the nation?
- there are over 38,000 vehicle fleets in North America and the City of Thousand Oaks was ranked 31st out of the top 100 peak performing fleet operations in North America?
- City of Thousand Oaks has been designated as one of the top 50 in the greenest fleets in North America
- City has approximately 60% of our Fleet using alternative fuels?
- City is in Trail Town USA’s National Hall of Fame with over 150 miles of trails and that over 40% of the land in the City of Thousand Oaks is set aside for open space?
- City was named by Popular Science Magazine as one of America’s 50 Greenest Cities?
- Hill Canyon Wastewater Treatment Plant produces all of its energy needed onsite using solar and cogeneration power? This was done at no cost to the City and is saving ratepayers over $300,000 annually!
- City certifies small businesses that incorporate sustainability into their operations and helps promote them? Stop by one of our Certified Green Businesses and thank them for their leadership:
- Conejo Awards
- Cornwall Security
- Greater Conejo Valley Chamber of Commerce
- HUB international Insurance
- Plaza Cleaners, and
- Solid Waste Solutions, Inc
Bonus Fact: The City of Thousand Oaks Public Works Department was just reaccredited by the American Public Works Association. We comply with over 600 best management industry practice standards that cover all aspects of our work. We are one out of only 100 public works agencies in North America to be recognized in this way, and the Association has selected three of our practices as Model Practices. They include tree inventory, graffiti removal, and Automatic Meter Reading (AMR) meter leak detection.
Get a FREE Thousand Oaks reusable tote bag! (Please Note: The free bag promotion has ended and all bags have been distributed.)
Let us know how many of the above facts you knew by commenting below on this blog post or on Facebook, then send us an email with your name and mailing address to firstname.lastname@example.org. Limited quantity available; One bag per household while supplies last.
UPDATE: Thank you to everyone who participated and commented! We will be mailing out the bags mid January!